The Maldives government on Sunday awarded the project to develop jetties in six islands to Maldives Road Development Corporation (MRDC) for over MVR 14 million.
Minister of Housing and Infrastructure Dr Mohamed Muizzu and MRDC’s Managing Director Ahmed Nimal signed the agreement at a ceremony held in the ministry.
According to the minister, the islands chosen for jetty development boast very small populations and lack proper docking facilities for marine vessels.
- Baa atoll Fehendhoo island – MVR 2.2 million
- Baa atoll Fulhadhoo island – MVR 2.2 million
- Vaavu atoll Fulidhoo island – MVR 3.3 million
- Vaavu atoll Raakeedhoo island – MVR 2.5 million
- Raa atoll Rasgetheemu island – MVR 1.8 million
- Meemu atoll Rathmandhoo island – MVR 2.2 million
“We hope that MRDC will get the signed projects underway very soon and complete them as soon as possible,” said the minister.
MRDC’s MD Nimal estimated that the jetties will be completed by the end of October this year, adding that the company aims to finish most of its major projects over the next six to eight months.
Minister Muizzu also announced that projects to develop jetties in Alif Dhaal atoll Mandhoo island and Alif Alif atoll Himandhoo island will be awarded to a contractor soon.