The Maldives was crowned the Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination, Indian Ocean’s Leading Beach Destination and Indian Ocean’s Leading Dive Destination at the World Travel Awards Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony.
The gala was hosted by the Sun Aqua Vilu Reef on July 8 and was attended by leaders of hospitality across the region.
With regards to the accolades, Deputy Minister of Tourism Hussain Lirar said, “Maldives’ Ministry of Tourism is thrilled to have won three prestigious World Travel Awards. Maldives and World Travel Awards share a lot of common values. Most importantly we both celebrate excellence in hospitality and the highest level of service to visitors.”
Several resorts and hotels in the Maldives also bagged accolades at the Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony:
- The St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort – Indian Ocean’s Leading Island Resort & Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury New Resort
- Sun Siyam Iru Sushi – Indian Ocean’s Leading Family Resort
- Jumeirah Vittaveli – Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury Hotel Villa
- Baros Maldives – Indian Ocean’s Most Romantic Resort
- Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort – Indian Ocean’s Leading Dive Resort
- Milaidhoo Island – Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury Resort
- Velaa Private Island – Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury Villa Resort
- One&Only Reethi Rah – Indian Ocean’s Leading Luxury Water Villa
- Kurumba Maldives – Indian Ocean’s Leading MICE Hotel
- COMO Cocoa Island – Indian Ocean’s Leading Private Island Resort
- Gili Lankanfushi – Indian Ocean’s Leading Resort
- Sun Aqua Vilu Reef – Indian Ocean’s Leading Water Villa Resort
- LUX* South Ari Atoll – Indian Ocean’s Leading Hotel
- JA Manafaru – Indian Ocean’s Leading Hotel Suite
- Coco Collection – Indian Ocean’s Leading Boutique Hotel Brand
- Hulhule Island Hotel – Indian Ocean’s Leading Leisure Hotel
Meanwhile, Tran Maldivian Airways took the title of Indian Ocean’s Leading Seaplane Operator while Velana International Airport walked away with the trophy for Indian Ocean’s Leading Airport 2017. Ace Travel Maldives was named Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination Management Company while Simply Maldives won Indian Ocean’s Leading Travel Agency.
Speaking at the ceremony, the founder and president of the World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, congratulated the winners and wished them luck in advancing to the Grand Final to be held in Vietnam later this year.
“It is your hard work, dedication, initiative and investment that makes the Indian Ocean tourism sector the success it is today,” he said.
The World Travel Awards are the most prestigious accolades in the sectors of travel, tourism and hospitality. The program was established in 1993 and has since been recognised as the ultimate trademark of excellence in the tourism industry.